FSS investigated allegations of misappropriation of assets and excessive spending by an employee of a federally funded nonprofit organization with reporting responsibilities to the Office of the Inspector General.
Through the use of advanced data analytics and the analysis of transactional data, the investigators identified:
- The use of company credit cards for personal benefit and the payment of personal expenses through expense reimbursements.
- The unauthorized payment of additional payroll to the employee and her assistant.
- The alteration of supporting documentation to conceal the inappropriate activity.
- FSS prepared and presented its findings to a representative of the Inspector General’s office.
- The employee plead guilty to the misappropriation of assets and was sentenced to probation and required to pay restitution.